Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Kith Cafe. Monocle's Review: "Top 5 Cafes, Bars and Restaurant in Singapore."



What makes a café a good one?

1. Personally, the foremost characteristic is an inviting ambience.

Kith Café at Park Mall scores: 3.5/5



There is a uniform theme of colours and pattern of wood arrangement throughout the café, from the walls to furniture. The interesting colour combination of yellow and browns creates an atmosphere for relaxation yet the presence of yellow stimulates the mind.

I give a standing ovation to Kith for its spatial design. Small space (only a little bigger than my bedroom), yet it creates a generous feel.  The designs of the furniture in Kith stand out with a solid feel and of interesting textures. 

However the small space would deter me from reading a book/magazine there. At tea-time on a Monday, there were fairly many people and so I could be invited to leave the café or to dine alfresco if I was hogging up seats.  To dine alfresco is a good idea, but I do not want to end up being baked at noon time. I would have given a perfect score of 5/5 for ambience if the indoor air-conditioned dining area was bigger and if music was played.




2.  The food and drinks must be tasty and of decent quality.

The passionfruit smoothie scores: 1.5/5




Healthy! 
I have taste buds that are intolerable towards anything too salty or sweet, but this was truly bland! Perhaps they missed out an ingredient or two, such as the passionfruit itself. Or maybe they made a bigger mistake of placing it in the menu. Indeed, it tasted more like diluted vanilla yogurt. The blended crunchy seeds of the passionfruit were also thrown in, which I did not like. At a price of SGD 8.50, I think you should skip it…


The Classic Carrot cake scores: 4.5/5


It was freshly baked, tasted good and well-priced (SGD 6.50 per slice). If you have a sweet-tooth, you will like the milky cream cheese. For a comparison, this tasted way less bitter thus better than the carrot cake I tried at Loola’s (Esplanade).



My final verdict:
Monocle says it is one of the Top 5 Cafes, Bars and Restaurants in Singapore. I beg to differ! 


Try the main courses if you go there. While those are pricey (the average costs SGD 20+), the portions are big too.  My friends were satisfied with those anyway. :)  





1 comment :

  1. Such a delicious food I'm sure. I think I can eat this everyday with that stylish glass you'd shown in the picture. Does this restaurant have a good collection of glassware?

    Marble Coaster

    ReplyDelete