Saturday, July 6, 2013

Trekking 101

Hello everyone! I went trekking last evening to our highest soil here in Singapore, of only 163.63m. The last time I went to Bukit Timah Hill was perhaps 10 years ago, so revisiting the place was quite exciting for me.

Two things that were a must on my to-bring list: 
1) Trekking shoes
2) Canon G15 camera to document my trip. Nevermind that I was perhaps the only person there with a camera slung across my body :p

From the very simple list above, close friends who went on cycling trips with me would be thinking that I had forgotten my Tiger Balm. Yep, I sure did! Anyway it didn't matter because insect bites I have not. :) I would surely bring it for my future trekking trips though.

Salomon trekking shoes are a must-have! I felt invincible with those worn. With the protection at the front that is similar to a safety helmet, any accidental kicking of rocks would not be painful. In fact, it is so good that you would not realise that rocks were in your way. My shoes cost only SGD 79, bought at a discount recently at the sportswear fair at Expo.



The starting point.


First stop: the toilet! 

We took on the green trail. 



Strong buttress roots

I think this tree has reached the emergent layer of the forest.




You wont be lost with the clear signs around

My trusty and happy navigator :)
That 'gate' reminded me Johnny English.

The converging and overlapping routes of the red, yellow and green trails

The stairs ahead is the shortcut to the summit. Only 0.2km upwards but it was sure tiring!
I guess I gotta train a lot more. :p

Monkeys can climb on barb wires?!

Sorry monkey, visitors are not allowed to feed you.





Is vertical ground not suitable for you? Try the PCN around the area then! :)
I will be going back to take on the other coloured trails even though Bt Timah Hill is sure quite far away from where I stay. Well, it is one of THE places to go to for trekking in Singapore. Have fun climbing it, folks! :)


Love,
Loraine





No comments :

Post a Comment